DISTRICT IMPLEMENTS NEW BUS ID POLICY FOR HIGH SCHOOLS

Before the end of the semester all students will be required to not only have their student ID on hand, but a yellow bus pass or “Z-Pass” ID to ride the school buss to and from home.

The “Zonar” system will be used to scan each student’s pass. It’s bus specific, meaning each bus will have a tracker system that indicates where this bus is along it’s route. Principal Fernando Benavides has been announcing these changes through underclassmen assemblies.

“I believe we have over 2,000 students who ride a bus from home to school and school to home,” Benavides said. “It’s really important that we drive that distinction between a lot of students who stay after school and only ride the bus in the morning.”

According to the policy, anytime a student gets on an AISD bus, they will be required to have their bus pass. It is not required at this time for students who have classes at the Arlington ISD Dan Dipert Career and Technical Center,  but it will be expected eventually, notes Benavides.

“Every bus driver should know exactly who’s supposed to get on their bus and what stop they’re suppose to get off,” Benavides said. “That’s going to be their responsibility as well.”

When asked about the new bus policy, the bus drivers stated they knew little about the policy and could not comment for this story.

“I’m a little concerned,” senior Udochi Amadi who rides this bus frequently said. “You just  never know what’s going to happen.”

This policy has been in place for a couple years now, but it’s just starting to be implemented in high schools across the district. The policy was first tested in AISD elementary schools and pushed to AISD junior highs, and now AISD high schools.

“It doesn’t bother me at all,” senior Michelle Nyachoti said about the new policy. “It’s for security purposes. No, I don’t personally ride the bus, but I know some people who ride the bus and can’t get home unless they ride the bus.”

The bus IDs are not required for school field trips or related events. Unlike the student ID, temporary bus passes will not be available for students, but they will be able to purchase a new bus ID in the library for $5 they misplace their bus ID.

Bithia Dantoumda

[email protected]